Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Would You Rather Email Than Pick Up the Phone?

I just wanted to say congrats to the five lucky people who emailed me to win FREE Business Card Design from me (Pirate Alula). You can read more about the promo in my last blog post. I will be posting some of those business cards in the future!

As a designer, I consider myself to be a pretty good mix of geek and artist. Since my profession involves spending long hours on the computer, I tend to be more comfortable speaking to people through email. In fact, I think I would almost prefer it to communicating on the telephone in many cases.

When it comes to my business, I will most definitely pick up the phone, as not only is it a quicker way to get in touch with someone, but you can also leave a more personal message if the other person isn't around.

Emailing, on the other hand, gives you the ability to proofread your thoughts, send thoughts at all hours of the day and night, and you can save emails to re-read later, which is not something you can do with a phone conversation.

With all that being said, I am not much of a phone person. Recently, my best friend told me that she is getting tired of being the one to call me all the time. Come to think of it, she is not the only one who has said this to me before. It really made me stop and think of exactly how connected I am to the internet and how it has affected my personal life.

Or am I simply just not a phone person?

So what do you think? Are you a super geek who would rather speak through your fingers than through your mouth? And if so, is that really so bad?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to the winners. I'm not sure I have a preference over phone/email. One is better for some things, and then the other will work in other situations. Depends on who you are comunicating with and what they expect too, I think.

    ReplyDelete